The right protection against teeth sensitivity
A spoonful of steamy soup, a bite of ice cream or your favourite sweet… Does your teeth scream during those happy moments? If yes; chances are there, that you may have sensitive teeth. Having sensitive teeth can mean anything from a mild zing to having a discomfort that can continue for several hours. It is not fun when your teeth can’t handle hot or cold temperatures. But the good news is; teeth sensitivity is a common and treatable condition.
How does sensitivity develop?
Sensitive teeth also known as dentin sensitivity or hypersensitivity is a common problem. Sensitivity occurs when the underlying layer of the teeth known as dentin becomes exposed. Dentin gets exposed when enamel gets deteriorated or when the gum tissue recedes leaving the teeth vulnerable. When gums recede below the tooth enamel layer into the root, the cementum layer is exposed causing dentin exposure. When hot, cold or sweet food touches the exposed nerves it causes unique pain.
In healthy teeth, a layer of enamel protects the crowns of the teeth; which is the part above the gum line. Below the gum line, a layer known as cementum protects the root of the teeth. Dentin is underneath the enamel and the cementum. When dentin loses its protective covering which is the enamel heat or cold quickly enters the nerves inside the tooth. Dentin can also be exposed when gums recede. This results in hypersensitivity.
There are many reasons that act together to create a perfect storm of sensitivity. Some people experience sensitivity more because their teeth enamel is thinner than others. A chipped or cracked teeth can cause sensitivity. Poor oral hygiene, and too much consumption of sugary food and drinks will erode the enamel of the teeth causing sensitivity.
Causes of sensitivity
▪ Brushing too aggressively can wear down the teeth enamel and can cause sensitivity. Using a soft bristle toothbrush and brushing gently may help.
▪ Poor oral hygiene can lead to dental cavities and gum disease often leading to teeth sensitivity.
▪ Sensitive teeth may also be due to worn out enamel. When the protective coating of the teeth wears away, exposing softer dentin layer, this may cause sensitivity. ▪ Cracked or chipped tooth can cause resonating pain causing sensitivity. ▪ Gum recession or gum diseases resulting from poor oral hygiene habits can cause sensitivity.
▪ Cavities cause an opening to the deep layers of the tooth resulting in sensitive teeth. ▪ People who grind their teeth will wear them down resulting in discomfort and tooth sensitivity.
▪ Persistent consumption of acidic food and drinks can also result in sensitivity. Chemicals in the food items attack the teeth’s enamel causing it to wear down and expose the dentin.
How to avoid sensitive teeth?
How to cure sensitivity? Maybe you have figured out and made small changes, like chewing food on one side of the mouth, but there are more effective ways to deal with sensitivity.
▪ Follow a regular oral hygiene routine with brushing, flossing and rinsing with a mouthwash.
▪ Pair acidic foods with less acidic foods like water, cheese etc. to help prevent enamel erosion.
▪ Wait for 30 minutes to one hour after eating to brush your teeth.
▪ Keep watch on your food. Avoid frequent encounters with spicy, hot, sugary and acidic food.
▪ Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
▪ If you have teeth grinding issues, consider using a mouth guard.
▪ Book regular visits with the dentist.
What Dente91 Toothpaste can do for your sensitive teeth
To help prevent plaque buildup, avoid harmful chemicals and maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in the oral cavity, Dente91 swoops in.
▪ Dente91 Toothpaste is the ‘first-of-its-kind’ toothpaste in India created with the power of two unique ingredients Nano Hydroxyapatite and Lactoferrin to protect oral health.
▪ Nano Hydroxyapatite present in Dente91 Toothpaste helps to control enamel erosion, remineralize teeth and reduce sensitivity.
▪ Dente91 contains Lactoferrin which is a multi-functional protein with Antibacterial, Antiviral, Anti-inflammatory and Antifungal properties. Antibacterial properties of Lactoferrin removes bacteria from the plaque biofilm and its Antifungal abilities help to stave off fungal infections.
▪ Nano Hydroxyapatite in Dente91 Toothpaste delivers minerals and forms a protective layer over the teeth that defends your teeth from the effects of exposure to acidic food.Don’t let your teeth down. Protect them with Dente91. Shop for Dente91 Oral Care Range here.